Mission and orientation
Welcome to the home page of the legacy ProfWork web site created and maintained by Wayne Hayes, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus of Sustainability at Ramapo College of New Jersey. I retired in July, 2015, after serving the Environmental Studies major, the Masters in Sustainability Studies, and founding the Public policy minority. I worked at Ramapo College from 1972 to 2015. An outline of my farewell address, delivered on December 5, 2015, provides you with some context and an overview.
The original ©ProfWork site supported my classes, so were shaped by the delivery of my curriculum. These courses are therefore built into the ProfWork site:
- World Sustainability (Ramapo College Environmental Studies): syllabus and schedule of last offering, fall 2014 semester;
- Ecology, Economics and Ethics (Ramapo College Environmental Studies): syllabus and schedule of last offering, fall 2014 semester;
- Economics of Sustainability (Ramapo College Masters in Sustainability Studies): syllabus and schedule of last offering, spring 2011;
- Business of Sustainability (Ramapo College Masters in Sustainability Studies, approved for curriculum but not offered due to medical leave of absence): syllabus and schedule.
- Public Policy: This comprehensive site, still used in many institutions, revolves around the Public Policy Cycle, but has only been partially adapted for the theme of sustainability.
Upon re-building for a general audience as an intended Primer on World Sustainability, I will infuse spiritual and ethical aspects based on Laudato Si', the Papal Encyclical (July 2015). The new synoptic model will feature Economics ==> Ecology ==> Spirituality, informed by the work of Niconar Perlas, Shaping Globalization: Civil Society, Cultural Power and Threefolding (2003: New Society Publishers). The themes here are consistent with my academic mission, but will expand as I transcend the prior curricular constraints. However, without the support of my colleagues and the innovative potential of Ramapo College, the entire effort would be more specialized. I am grateful for the opportunity to continue my mission.
Please use this site as you see fit under the Creative Commons guidelines. Please contact me if you use the site or about any matter related to this content.
Laudato Si', Social Ecology, and Sustainability
With the release of the Papal Encyclical, Laudato Si', Social Ecology has been revived by Pope Francis around the core concept from St. Francis of Assisi, Integral Ecology. I have loaded in a separate page some remarks, notes, and links for the Environmental Studies and Masters in Sustainability Studies Reunion at Ramapo College, December 5, 2015.
- Perlas, Nicanor. Shaping Globalization: Civil Society, Cultural Power and Threefolding. GlobeNet3, Saratoga Springs, NY, 2003.
- Pope Francis. Laudato Si`: On Care for Our Common Home. Vatican City: Encyclical Letter, June 2015.
ProfWork Home Page |
© Wayne Hayes, Ph.D. | ProfWork | email@example.com
Initialized: October 12, 2002 | Last Update: 01/23/2017 | V. 12.0, Build #45