In 2007, while still offering courses in sustainability, I put out my manifesto, My Statement of Concern. I still pursue the challenge to devise a feasible global strategy, using the USA as my case study, to address the whole conumdrum. I like to think that I can offer a unique approach, hence the PostProfWork Project website. I have not altered the original manifesto.
- PostProfWork revives my initiative as a new build and support notes.
- Soften capitalism and expand Integral Ecology with the horizon provided by Climate Catastrophe. Do this with a clear-eyed realization of the history of capitalism. Measure by Overshoot Gap, similar to the well-known Footprint and a concept easily imagined by you, dear Reader.
- Design the current project as a simulated course layout where the sequence for the reader has been defined in HTML5. The website defines my thinking, keeps me involved, and offers the challenge of a flow project.
- So what I call Climate Catastrophe, Impacts, and Response (CCIR) offers a context and time horizon. My thesis: CCIR underestimates the rapidity of CC, the Impacts at regional levels where folks live their lives, and the complete shortfall in the response. I will focus on the USA but China, EU, and Asia in general will be essential. Specific attention to the coming elections and the utter failure of Congress must be kept.
- To come: cases, bibliography, curated links, glossary of key concepts, and miscellany with no clear destination.
- My existing writing on capitalism as NeoLiberalism stands in for the entire political economy piece, as nformed by the Longue Duree of Fernand Braudel. Of special concern: the explosion of shared but environmentally destructive economic growth since World War II. The site will develop in the context of the Overshoot Gap. As capitalism increases corporate citizenship and as technology improves, as population stabilizes, and as economic growth slows with small labor force and lower productivity, the stress on the Earth lowers the stress, thus shrinking the Overshoot Gap.
- See ProPublica bombshell on wealth and taxes.
- My existing website on Laudato Si' with /IE, Integral Ecology, as the engine.
- ThreeFolding within /IE, deprecated: not same high level as IE but absorbed by /LSi.
- Conversion from raw capitalism to Integral Ecology remains the key move. Track both in their tension as a dialectic.
- IE contained in Braudel on material culture & Livelihood and in local Commerce, two rich worlds within capitalism. The action, to Braudel, comes in the World and the long-term, both certainly important but must be confronted as with Engine No. 1 actions against ExxonMobil Board, seemingly successful.
- Comprehend climate change in this way: A Climate Catastrophe looms with impacts not clearly understood but with a response that so far appears far short of what might be done to prevent and to mitigate what I dub CCIR: Climate Catastrophe, Impacts, and Response. The climate component of the sustainability curriculum within which I worked relied on Environmental Scientists for climate change. I must fill that gap in my knowledge.
For a quick synopsis, see my GSW page. My prior home page and legacy 2007 manifesto linger.
The structure above fits ppw2 into the inherited directory structure. An overhaul of the directories will create a mess. The spirit of my effort will be, as usual, note-taking that I can recover, advance, and share. HTML5 provides the discipline and the home within which to compose my post-retirement focus. Welcome